Tuesday, August 02, 2011

The Cranberries - fulfilment to the MAX


It was a dream come true. I've 'grown up' listening to The Cranberries, learning many of the songs I've grown to play on the guitar back in Junior College days. Songs such as Zombie, Ode to my family, Linger were absolute classics. The chords were simple enough for beginners to pickup, melody was simple and yet not the conventional American pop. The Cranberries had records to the tune of the struggles of the Irish against persecution. I continued playing hits from Cranberries during National Service (At MDC) and our Sab-0 (zero) band during my University days.

In 2003, I did an student exchange in Belfast, and The Cranberries had a concert there but I missed it!! (Due to lack of funds, and non of the Singaporean mates wanted to watch), In July 2011, there was a TV ad which promoted The Cranberries, LIVE in Singapore on the 1st August. So this time, 8 years later, I just HAD to attend the concert. The missed concert of 2003 has been lingering in my mind, as they would have been at their prime and the venue was of that a small hall with possibly no seating (Imagine how it would have rocked!!!).



So when the lights dimmed at 830pm, and the band pumped out a string of his like "Hollywood, I can't be with you, Dreaming my dreams", it was a 'moment' that took my breath away, literally a life time of 'anticipation' and 'fulfilment' was felt. Now I understand why some fans (especially young nubile teens) will fall flat over their idols. I've realised that The Cranberries has touched me no other band has!

The rocking went on, Dolores showed signs of aging though her voice was a strong and crystal clear as any of their 5 albums so far. The 'du-du-du' of several songs including Ode to my family was airy and pitch perfect.

The hits kept on coming, Zombie, When you're Gone, I practically knew every single song which they performed!! The fastest song they played was Salvation, though I'd like to hear them play Forever Yellow Skies 'live' (A practically 2-chord song!! with slamming drums...great for moshing). After a short break with Zombie, The Cranberries came back with another slew of hits Free to decide, Promises and finally one of their biggest hits, Dreams as a fitting Finale!

Thank you The Cranberries for the music!!!


No comments: